Monday, April 16, 2012

Pottery Barn Kids Inspired

Morena really outdid herself on this one:


I love to ogle the Pottery Barn Kids catalog when it shows up in my mailbox, but I can't bring myself to spend *that* much on some of their pieces.  I wanted to turn our breakfast nook into a family workspace where we could do homework and craft together, but I didn't want to spend a lot on it.  By turning to PBK for inspiration and then shopping my house I was able to come up with a room I am very happy with!


 This was an old poster frame that was on it's way to Goodwill.  I found a dry erase board (24 by 36 inches) at Hobby Lobby that fit inside it.  I found the shelf/hook unit at Michael's.  I used Colonial Red spray paint on both pieces to make them match, then hung them together so they look like one cohesive piece.  That cute Come In sign is from Mindy Mae's Market.


 This was an old frame I used to hate.  Amazing what spray paint can do!  I had the calendar made with our family's picture at Vistaprint for free.  One piece of wall art finished for almost nothing!


 I spray painted this frame as well and used my Silhouette cutter to make the subway art (this clip art was purchased from the silhouette store).  I then used transfer tape to apply the vinyl directly to the glass.


 For the art corner, I spray painted some wood pieces from Michael's and cut them to frame an old magnet board I had purchased at IKEA years ago.  The magnets were made using old milk bottle caps purchased at a flea market.


  A picture of the magnet board in progress.
Would you believe I only used one can of spray paint to paint everything? Yeah, its true!


 The caddies were labeled as "CD Holders" at Michaels.  They were also spray painted, and then I added the craft buckets which I already had.  The kids love having easy access to their supplies!


And here is the room in action.  I love that we have a place where we can work and craft together, and have everything we need in easy reach!  I also love the fact that I was able to upcycle so many items I already had.  Instead of buying new things, I was able to give new purpose to things I thought I no longer needed.

Isn't it total fab?! Love that Morena! Be sure to check out her blog for more tutorials! xoxo

 
I hope this inspires you to shop your house for your next project!  I hope you'll visit my corner again, or  follow my blog!  Comments and suggestions are appreciated!
Tip Junkie handmade projects

2 comments:

  1. Adorable! How did I ever miss those Open/Closed signs? I neeeeed one of those!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyone who sees it loves that sign!

    ReplyDelete