Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Springy Straw Wreath

I loved the wreath Jen did over on TT&J...
so I decided to give it a Spring-y Twist!


I started with assorted paper straws....{I used about 76 straws}


 a foam wreath form from the dollar store, a glue gun...

 and I had some old satin-binding from a long-ago quilt project.

 I first cut the binding into two pieces, so that it would go further...just in case.

And  then I started wrapping.
{Don't mind the finger dents- my two year-old was "helping"}
I made sure that the finished edges were the ones showing....so wrap your first loop and then make sure the next loop covers the edge that would fray.

I reached the end of the form, cut the excess, folded the end of the ribbon and glued it down.

I started witht the straws...a little nervous about placement... Something I will say, I wish I would have over-placed the straws a little more- further into the middle of the wreath. Instead of placing them at what looked like the end of the form.

 I first started with a pattern of straw colors and then at the end I had to switch it up a bit because a whole pattern wouldn't fit. See if you can tell where that was....

I liked the look of differing size straws so I cut them in an every-other-one pattern. I just eye-balled it. I rather like the randomness of it that way.

 I finished it off {for now} with a bit of green binding I also had left over...tied it in a bow and secured it with a safety-pin {so that I can change it out next time I feel the need}.



Last, I formed a loop with some left-over {again} yellow binding, folded and glued over, glued to the form and then secured with safety-pins. {I have issues with trusting the staying power of hot glue.}

 Here's the finish product...I LOVE the colors and the airy-ness of it!

 You'll see where this ended up in a future post!
Tip Junkie handmade projects

6 comments:

  1. ok- this is too too cute! What a great, fun, bright and clever idea! i LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun, festive wreath!! I would love for you to share this (and any other creations) at "Pin It & Win It Wednesday" at www.cheapcraftymama.com!

    ReplyDelete
  3. cute, creative and very springy. i'm always looking for a reason to buy those cute straws ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely LOVE how colorful this is!! I would love to make a wreath like this :)

    ReplyDelete